Thursday, February 23, 2012
Response to "Beyond the Line"
I thought the story was well organized and it did a good job of telling the tale ina clear way. It seemed to know what it was talking about and I suppose it was well researched, giving a real feel that it was the business side of war (so to speak). The story was about a man who is a major in the military and he has been stationed in a combat zone somewhere. His job is to figure out when and where they will be firing but there is a hitch when he hasn't yet been given all the intelligence. Eventually he learns that his zone has a school in it and refuses to fire on it, which is against the orders he was given so he has a conflict with his commanding officer. I would like to know more details though. There are a lot of details to outline life in the military, but I want to know more about the conflict and the place and why they are there. This would help the reader feel more invested in the story and give interest. The whole story is spent in the build-up but when it comes to the conflict of the story, the impact doesn't quite hit you very hard. You do not get any emotion in the piece. Also I see that it wanted to tie the beginning to the end, but none of it seems too important and it appeared to be just a writing device for the device's purpose. The scene seems very distant and you want to get back to it and for much more to be revealed but it is blandly tied in. I also feel like it over complicates some minor things throughout the piece. I want it to latch onto something and drive it home and carry the story forward. As it is now, it feels to me like it could just be 12 pages in the middle of a large novel, as opposed to a feeling of completeness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment