Thursday, February 16, 2012
response to Janelle
In "The Truth Behind the Window" you seem to have an interesting thought, but I don't know if it really materializes. The story seems to be about a married woman who is living in a suburban middle/upper class neighborhood and sits by her window and observes the things happening around her. Her own marriage is talked about briefly and seems to be a point in her life that she is passively disappointed about. You get the idea in the story that the main character, christina, is a very judgemental person. I think there is a bit too much that is unsaid in the story though, from the events to the characters. You have no idea what leads christina to the way of thinking that she has other than a little bit of insight into her married life and her hilariously rude husband. But there is not much character development throughout any of it. Different characters are introduced frequently and you pause just long enough on each of them to understand a little of who they are but not enough to really feel like you know them. They do not have a full personality that makes them a person. And speaking of personality, I get the impression that you are not even close enough to christina to get her personality. Even though you are in her head more than anything else, she doesn't have a fully developed and concrete idea that makes her an individual. With so little focus on anything or anyone, you do not feel like you know anything. Also, I do not know where the story was in this. There were a number of events (that admittedly did not seem to be impactful) and the ending certainly did not involve any change. There were hardly any events at all, and none of them involved the main character. In the end it talks about christina's revenge, and I would love to know what that is all about. It also says that she could see the truths they so desperately tried to hide, but I have no idea what those are. I would love it if we were given an actual outline of what this potential dark underbelly would look like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment