Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Response to "Off"

I found this story to be intriguing, and for the most part, good as well. it is a stream of consciousness narrative following a young woman who is clearly a very synical and self-absorbed rich girl. In fact, she seems to be about as stereotypical as arcih girls come in the basic outline of her actions and personality. however, I thought that the telling of it gave the story and character a great deal of more depth. I might have been so intrigued because I never have really thought about how an overly coddled person might apporach even the most mundane things. i think the technique of the storytelling, with the constant banter of thought, really plays well in this instance. It pulls it off well without getting too bogged down with overlaod, and adds complexity to the story of a girl moving along in a party, trying to get some kisses. All the little anecdotes that she adds, like when she first fell for Adam or when she tells about her history in painting tells so much about the inner workings of this young woman's personality. She clearly is a very complex and conflicted person, even though she tries so hard to show the exterior of an overly confident individual. I also really like how concrete and real she seems as a person, where a few things are revealing but they do not tear down the image that has already been built up. It was a good and interesting insight into another's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment