Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Response to "Fortune"
I really enjoyed this story and felt like it pulled off the writing style quite well. It is a story about a man (of unknown age) named Mike who lives alone with his dog. The story takes a stream of consciousness approach to tell of the man's thoughts. He is an incredibly passive person and he is watching a television game show that I think is Wheel of Fortune when two robbers break in through the window. When his dog attacks, one of the robbers shoots him. I thought that what was interesting was the way in which his passive mind portrayed the entire situation. It was very odd and perhaps slightly unrealistic, but it fits the character that has been developed and it is accomplished well. Mike makes a number of odd and mundane observations about this and that, but it does not get lost in the storytelling or seem to drag you too far away from the scene. Later the two robbers get into some sort of verbal altercation and the one called Joshua shoots the one called Jacob in the chest. At this point of the story I think I would have liked to know a little bit more about the fight such as why it was happening. I know that it says it was hard to make out, but to go right into shooting his accomplice seems rash and I would like to have Mike pick up a few words of something, especially since the television is no longer there to have auditory distractions. I really liked the way the tension was built up here towards the end and how it kept the same thought processes but still amped up the excitement. I see the change being that at the end, Mike made a move and was active as opposed to passively watching things unfold and he bolts to get out. Perhaps it is merely a sign of a good story, but I would like to know more past the end when it just cuts off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment