Thursday, March 1, 2012

Response to "kids"

I thought "Kids" moved very well from beginning to end, telling an interesting story. The character is very well established and the piece has a continual voice. The story is apparently about a young teenage girl who has been shipped off to camp and she takes in many observations about how the other girls at the camp are acting far too old for themselves. At the end there is a girl who says she likes a boy and then another girl ends up sleeping with him. Then it hits finality when it gives the lesson and you learn that the girl wasn't even a virgin. One thing that I was the biggest fan of, even though it led to a well developed character, was how much you spelled it out. It seemed like every paragraph has designed to have one thing that said to your face that she still considered herself young. Also as a more minor point, I really would have liked it if the camp counselor's age was established earlier. Also I am curious if Jeremy was in there with her smoking. Another thing that I think could perhaps be altered about the story is that I would like to have known a little bit earlier where they are. The first page of mystery works well but it still seemed to have too much confusion for too long. I wanted to feel in the story earlier and its hard to do that without knowing what environment you are in. Or perhaps that is just because I never went to camp...

No comments:

Post a Comment