Thursday, March 29, 2012

Response to "Where to Start?"

I liked "Where to Start?" for the most part. It was not too long winded and it gave the reader an environment and character that seemed real to the reader. It was a story about a young man named Darroll who is roughly sixteen or so. He reveals the way his life has played out so far in his schooling (without going into too much unnecessary detail) and tells a story about how he became infatuated with his grandfather's car upon being dropped off for his first day of public school. It also sets up the basement to be a scary place, and in the end he is forced to go down there to clean and he discovers that the old car he loved was willed to him (although it was sold), and he decides he needs to have it. What I would like to see in this story is that I want more to happen and I would like to know more of the emotional impacts that were had by Darroll. The setting seems very real but I would like to know slightly more about what the narrator actually cares about. The story also seems to be lacking in backbone and something to force it into being compelling. I would enjoy it if there was a scene of real action in it, involving Darroll against his parents or on his persuit of actually procuring the car of his dreams. The descriptions that were used were good and original largely, and it never seemed too dull. I would just like a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment