Thursday, March 22, 2012
Response to "Password Protected"
To begin with, I am glad that the piece turned out to be more serious than it originally seemed, with its focus on Facebook. The story at first is introduced as being about a girl who is taking care of the facebook of Thomas, who you soon later learn to be her brother. It is told that he is ill in some way and you learn slowly throughout the story that he actually had leukemia. The story continues to follow the girl as she interacts with her brother's facebook page, and it has a couple of interesting memories and thought provoking injections that are telling. This all leads up to the end where you learn that Thomas has actually been dead this whole time and at that point for me it becomes creepy. And I hope that that was the intention because I felt like it was accomplished very well, where the story doesnt really have that much of a foreboding sense or anything but looking back on it from the near-end it seems very odd and creepy that she wants to make her brother "immortal". Its almost like a villain type of thing in my mind. I found it odd the way Thomas was introduced and I didnt especially like the way he was brought in without knowing his role, and led to a slightly confusing first part of his memories. It does however fit with the slow technique of how the reader slowly learns more and more about the characters throughout the storyline. It was formatted well with few grammatical errors, although there were instances where wording seemed unrefined or just odd. Pretty good story for the most part.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment