Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Response to "The Marriage of Ruth and Isaac"
I liked the story by Emily, largely because of the perspective. It was a well told story that was told from the point of view of the mother of a girl who is about to get married. What I like about this is that the mother has a more or less reproachful thought about the whole idea of losing her baby daughter to the life of a man, and I feel like it would be far more stereotypical to go the other route and make it the father who has this idea. The story starts with the mother telling about the memory she has of her daughter (Ruth) when she was a very young girl in her first wedding, and paints a good picture of how she was once a very dependent and shy girl who needed her daddy. It goes on to tell more memories about how the mother felt she should have been more supportive of the daughter throughout different events in Ruth's life in her relationship with Isaac, such as the meeting of the parents or learning of the engagement. I would have liked to see more about how Ruth reacted to the Mother's take on all of these events though, and I think it would tell a lot about the state of their relationship. It seems unclear to me now if the mother is overly loving and is merely protective and doesn't want to lose her daughter or if they have a relationship that is flawed. It was a bit short and I was not convinced that it had to be. I thought a good bit more could have been put on paper. I also felt like the last two paragraphs lost the easymoving voice from before and fall apart simply to try to end it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment