Thursday, April 5, 2012

Response to "Blood"

"Blood" my Molly was twisted and interesting, and just the type of intrigue that I would expect from her writing. To begin with, it was told from a very interesting point of view that instantly made the reader lock in, so they can hear the tale of a crazy girl. I also really enjoyed the way the memories were told, especially the ones involving the father. The story is apparently about a girl named Scarlet (and for once I feel like her name was introduced at an appropriate time) and she is in some sort of mental hospital. She describes the other "crazies" who are patients and their differing levels of severity, and also describes her mother and father. The mother is somewhat neurotic and a germ freak and the father seems very laid back. She then goes on to tell about the reason for her getting put in the hospital and the current talk with the psychiatrist. I find her reasoning for her cutting tendencies to be odd and interesting but still chilling because of the nature of the subject. I feel like the whole piece fits that nature well. I feel like the piece moved along well and I enjoyed the way the story was told from a time and memory standpoint. It did seem like it could get polished up a bit more though, and although there was a good and definite voice (of course) I wasnt sold on everything she said, such as the times when she says "think ____". Still a very good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment