Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Response to "Support Group"
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Support Group". It was a unique story that was told purely with dialogue and only by one person. This can be difficult, obviously, and to be perfectly honest I am not sure what the best way to do this on paper would be, as far as writing conventions or grammar are concerned. That aside, I thought that the story was good in that it really captured a lot of attention from the reader and it never let up. It seemed like a genuine voice and I was able to see a depressing individual admitting his perverted nature to a group of silent onlookers. It was very awkward and made my skin crawl a little bit, but in a very good way that built tension and gave the reader the typical feeling of 'not being able to look away from a car crash'. The story was also laughable, and I am pretty sure that this was Paul's intention when he put it together. It was the awkward laugh that makes you feel weird for laughing at, like the scene where he tells about messing his pants in front of his friends. It clearly is also a somewhat taboo subject and that alone propells it to having significance, but it does not tackle the subject half-heartedly. The only gripe that I have is for the ending. I felt like the end was trying to wrap it up and finish, and I don't know what would have been better but it seemed sudden. At the very least, my suggestion would be to put a little bit more between the last paragraph and the one before that makes a sort of time lapse between him saying he would be there for everyone else and him jetting out of there. It just happens so quickly it seems rushed and ill formed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment